Tuesday, October 17, 2006

This week I am helping out a friend who has just opened up a business. It has been interesting to realize how many steps are involved in just getting started, and all the paperwork required. I guess much depends on the type of business, but when you are opening up a store or retail business, there is so much more to consider than starting a home office.

Right now I am learning her computer system, which given my own challenges this fall, is somewhat ironic. This may be the blind leading the blind, but it makes for a change in the routine and by taking this on, it frees up my friend to do what she does best. I just hope I don't totally screw up and double-book people for appointments, etc. The computerized cash register also takes some getting used to and the first time the drawer sprung open, I just about jumped out of my seat!

So, all in all, I think this is going to be a great learning experience and provided I don't manage to put her out of business before week end, it should be fun. However, I know... I won't give up my day job.

No comments: