It’s Thursday. I have to write my blog. After three weeks (and two days) away on vacation, it’s been a tough week trying to switch back on.
I can’t remember when I last took that amount of time off … and I mean really off. My business was totally off my radar. We were travelling, meeting with friends and being the tourist. Lots of fun, new memories were created.
I highly recommend it, but have to say ramping back up is challenging. And perhaps if I am being honest, I don’t want to. I still want to bask in that mellow, free feeling of being Anne Day, not Anne Day, business owner.
However, reality is that I do need to get myself into gear. There’s just one week left until it is back to school, back to work and a whole new year of programming ahead of us at Company of Women.
I remember when my girls were young having such mixed feelings about this time of year – longing for them to be back at school, and back in a routine, but dreading the thought of the school lunches and homework, and being back in a routine.
I know I am not alone with these mixed emotions. Summer is such a short but special time. One that I think we need (and deserve) to energize ourselves – both physically and mentally – for the year ahead.
How do you get yourself ready for the fall?
1. Make lists of what you have to do. I am a list maker. It’s my lists that keep me on track, as I try to bring my head back into thinking business and what I have to do.
2. Break down big projects. You can reach your end goal, one step (task) at a time. It makes it less overwhelming and easier to achieve.
3. Pause. Step back and look at what you really want and have to do, rather than over-committing yourself. You don’t want to rush to get back on the hamster wheel again.
4. Plan ahead. You know how hectic the fall can be, so book some “girlfriend” time now, so you have eked out some time for fun and can stay connected to your “tribe.”
5. Be gentle on yourself. Ease yourself back in. Drop the need for perfection.
Already the temperatures are getting cooler, and you just know that fall is around the corner.
And with it comes a fresh start, a new season and maybe even a new you!