Thursday, November 24, 2016

Open for business. Open to learn.

Scared. Excited. Nervous. Worried.  Sound like you?

Yes there is a real thrill about stepping out on your own, being your own boss and in control of your life (or so you think).  

But it is quickly coupled with a nervousness about whether this bold step you have taken is going to work out; that it’s going to pay your bills and ultimately lead to business success.


The challenge is that often you feel alone with your fears and that no one else can possibly be feeling the same way.  And yet that assumption would be wrong.

It was one of the reasons I started Company of Women as I found it lonely working at home and desperately wanted to connect with like-minded women who were on the same entrepreneurial path as me.

I often compare starting a business with having a baby, in that despite any homework you may do, nothing really prepares you for reality.  Also the emotions that stir up within you range from pure joy and excitement, rapidly followed by self doubt and anxiety that you are perhaps not cut out for this new job – be it as a parent or a business owner.

I have been in the entrepreneurial trenches for sixteen years now but earlier this year started a brand new venture.  Quickly I was reminded of what it feels like when you don’t know what you don’t know.   When you are used to being competent and knowledgeable, it is humbling to be back in the novice seat again.

And maybe that is why I am reflecting on what it is like to be in start up mode and why I’d like to see us – us being Company of Women – offer something concrete to help you get your business off the ground.

In the past I have run groups for newbies and at the beginning I’d often find that there was a group sigh of relief when they discovered that they were not alone with their emotional roller coaster.   I always remember one woman confessing that often when she got up in the morning she didn’t have a clue as to what she should be doing to further her business.  Around the table everyone was nodding in agreement.

The other interesting commonality that I observed is that while at the start of the group, the women were starting a certain business, by the end of the six months, their focus had changed and evolved as their concept of their business became clearer.

All of this to say that starting January 2017, we are launching a Start Up Club with a special membership rate for those at the beginning of their entrepreneurial venture or those about to embark on this journey, as well as webinars and online resources to help you focus, build your business and most important, establish your own support network.

We have a wealth of expertise within Company of Women, and these women are generously sharing their knowledge with you. 

As I have said in the past, you don’t have to be alone when you own.



1 comment:

VivienneJK said...

Thanks Anne. Please keep me informed as I am sure this would be great for me. Not for the B and B - that is a no-brainer, super-easy and totally enjoyable venture.
More for what else I can do with regards to blogging, writing, speaking giving workshops etc. etc.
So glad I met you and Darlene and all the other fabulous women at the Write Way to Retreat.
Susan