Thursday, May 19, 2016

I am celebrating our success


My friends and family will tell you that just before the Journey 2 Success conference I can be heard muttering under my breath “never again, this is the LAST one.”  



And certainly this year was no different, in fact I had decided it really was the last one.  
Equating my decision that it was better, like a TV show, to quit while you were ahead.  Plus “10th conference” had a good ring to it.

Fast forward two days after the conference and what have I just done?  Booked the space for next year – May 9th ladies, mark your calendar.   

What made me change my mind?  Apart from being on a high from the day,  I just love, love seeing women connect and support one another.  I spend hours plotting out the table plans and to see it working is reward in itself.  The energy in the room was palpable and it wasn’t just at the start, it lasted all day.

Second – I have come to realize that we are offering something special and unique to women and I want more women to benefit from that experience.  Part of my growth is learning to delegate and so heads up team, get ready as I plan to rope you all in.

Lastly, where else do I get told by 200 + women that I am looking good?J

As I sat in on the Make it Happen session the day after the conference, I was struck by some common themes that came up. 

The sense of community that Company of Women has created.  Not just at the conference, but across the organization. We had women there from all nine chapters, including Manitoba, and it became really clear to me that we are attracting like-minded women, who want to support not compete with one another.

My second observation was that we can all learn from one another, no matter what stage you are at in the your business or how successful you are, there is always something new to learn.

There was much conversation at the conference about success and as one person pointed out, it is an inside job.  It starts with how you feel about yourself and your level of self-awareness.   The speakers frequently talked about trust – in yourself and your gut instincts and in others.  Being authentic was also key. 

Our keynote speaker Amy McLaren spoke with such humility and honesty about the life-changing charity she started at 26, downplaying her achievements while encouraging us all to step up and make a difference.  And we did.  Together we raised $5,085 for Amy’s charity – World Teacher Aid.

As I listened to the women in the Make it Happen session it was interesting that many of their main takeaways came from someone who ran a charity, not a for-profit-business, which speaks to the fact that it really doesn’t matter what type of business you are running, striving to do and be your best is what matters.

As for Liz Radzick.  What can I say?  She’s always amazing but when she just took over the opening session without a blink… that’s masterful.  That’s truly role modelling how to go with the flow.

That leads me to our ending - the clever, entertaining but thought-provoking documentary – One Red Lipstick – produced by Spenser Chapple, a young woman with insights beyond her years, who was looking for role models, and found them.

It was a day of laughter, tears and wisdom, in a community of women who care.

See you next year.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

As Always Anne.. You leave me on a note of pondering... wondering what my life was like before I stepped into my own (mainly because of the women I have met through Company of Women, Is like (mainly because of the women I have met through Company of Women who mentor me, and will be like in the future (again... mainly because of the women who inspire me and encourage me to stretch myself away from my comfort level and into possibilities). YES, you leave me pondering. What WILL Journey2Success be like next year? HOW could it possibly be any better? IT IS YOU who has created this platform for women from all over to come to, feel safe enough to be vulnerable with others and offer to as well as accept assistance from women who are willing to support and share their experiences to make you the best that you can be. YOU have made a HUGE difference in the lives of many. Please celebrate that because so many celebrate YOU!

Linda Sztanko, Company of Women Leader, Niagara-Hamilton Ontario Chapter

Unknown said...

This was my first conference and will not be my last. Coming from one organization where women did not work towards helping each other be successful and support one another with no conditions, to consistently feeling energized, supported and positive is amazing! I've already met so many wonderful women and forged some friendships that I know will continue into the future, and look forward to making many more. To paraphrase Bridget Jones, I feel like everyone "likes me just the way I am"...who can ask for more?

The Universe Lady said...

Anne, from the bottom of my heart - congratulations! You done good! I wish you many more years of continued success!

Unknown said...

Anne, that was a wonderful conference. I'm so happy you are going to continue to hold it next year. You can count on us to be your foot soldiers. It's the first time for me and I met many incredible women. Amy's story was so moving. What can I say about Spencer Chapple's One Red Lipstick documentary. It's so inspiring and the way she crafted the documentary to tell the stories was amazing. But that's not all! The success circle, the biz tools and your crafty seating plans all added up to a fabulous day. As a first timer, all I can say is "wow".

Deborah Cowgill said...

Wow, how fortunate am I to have found Company of Women, full of warm, friendly, loving, inspiring women. I'm so glad Anne started this wonderful group, to help women feel like they belong and can be part of a bigger picture. Thank you so much, Anne...for everything:)

Deborah Cowgill Machedollza