Friday, June 13, 2014

The lost sale


There is clearly a fine art to selling your book, and with the publishing of our Enough book in the horizon, I am watching with keen interest as to how other authors go about it.

Recently I received an email from an author, who had written a previous book which included tests so you can find out more about yourself.

I’d taken the tests online, so this email was personalized in that it mentioned “my style” and advised I could learn more about myself in her latest book.

As a teaser she included a link to a short section of the book which revealed more about my type.  Pretty clever I thought to go the lengths of personalizing the email. I know, it’s automated but it still seemed like a clever move.

Problem was when I clicked the link for page 85, it took me directly to a sales pitch about the book.  Further on in the email is another link, which takes you to the same sales pitch to purchase the book, at a reduced rate by a certain time.

Knowing how easy it can be to have the wrong link hooked up, (guilty as charged) – I contacted her office, only to be informed that “no, that was intentional.”  They wanted to create more curiosity about the book.

Well as far as I am concerned, this sales gimmick backfired.  I found myself irritated that they would falsely promote something that they had no intention of providing.

Maybe I am naïve, but if you say you are providing something, you provide it.

Would I have ordered the book prior to this experience?  Maybe.  Will I buy it now? No.  Why should I trust anything that is said.  To me, their false advertising has tripped them up.    It was too clever by far.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear, Anne. I'd feel hoodwinked and would lose trust in the author as someone who is truthful. (How could I trust what she writes in her book?) I'm with you: no sale. Thanks for sharing!

The Universe Lady said...

I'm with you on this one, Anne! And unfortunately, it seems to be the norm. It appears to fall into 'too good to be true' category these days.

Linda said...

I totally agree! It seems like everytime there is a promise of even a "tidbit" of information, it is just a sales pitch - usually a never ending sales pitch! I don't even bother with the teasers now, no matter how interested I might be. It works as well as a telemarketing call to me!

Anonymous said...

So not cool. The whole point of offering a sneak peak and any interaction is to build trust, allow your potential buyers get to know and like you.

Some business coaches are losing site of the need to build trust and there are lots of ways to build curiosity WHILE building trust as opposed to trading it.

Thanks for sharing Anne.