Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Gratitude


For years I have been preaching about the value of women helping women, and I’ve always tried to live up to that mantra.

Rarely though have I been at the receiving end.  Partly because I don’t ask for help  (I don’t do vulnerable)  but also because I am not comfortable asking for favours.  But as we finalize our plans for our conference Journey 2 Success, I have been amazed and frankly flattered, at the support we have received from other women business owners.

We’ve always tried to get sponsors for our conference as we like to make the event as affordable as possible, but in the past to be honest,  had limited success in this area.  But not this year.  This year women entrepreneurs have come forward to lend their financial support.

I can’t say enough about how this makes me feel.  I truly appreciate and value the gestures these individuals have made and their offers to help.   The majority of our sponsors this year are women who are small business owners.  They have reached a certain level within their business and want to give back.

How sweet is this.  It really speaks to the whole essence of what the conference is all about – that we are all on a journey and we can help each other reach our chosen destination.

So let me introduce you to these wonderful women.  First is our lead sponsor – Jennifer Longmore from Soul Journeys, who just phoned me out of the blue to say she wanted to be my major sponsor.  How cool is that.

Next is Joyce Usher Mesiano of National Brokers Insurance and then there’s Chioma of AMOI magazine who last year sat on our Courage Panel and was so impressed with the day, she’s back as a sponsor and recruited two other sponsors - the Jamaican National Building Society and Matrix Search Group.

Both Jerrold Johnson and Chandran Fernando come from a diversity perspective. They know and truly understand the obstacles that women and visible minorities face and are working hard to level the playing field.

My heartfelt thanks to Jennifer, Joyce,  Chioma, Jerrold and Chandran.   I can’t thank you enough for your faith, your support and encouragement. You truly walk the talk.

No comments: