Monday, November 30, 2009

IT’S OK TO SAY NO

I don’t know about you but the last few months have been pretty hectic and when I step back and look at my schedule I can see quite clearly that I have over-committed myself.

I receive a lot of requests and in my efforts to be helpful, I say yes to meetings when I really should say no.

I was talking to my coach about this dilemma and she challenged me on why I was saying yes, what was I getting out of it, she asked. Her next question gave me pause for thought – and what would happen if I said no.

When I look at the commitments I have made – sometimes it is tied up in my ego – being flattered at the request and other times, I believe in the cause and want to contribute. And I am from the old school where if you make a commitment, you stick to it. Well, as I discovered this week – maybe you don’t have to.

After much deliberation, I decided to take charge of my life and my time and I have gone back and got myself off the board; out of the meeting and booked in some time just for me.

It is actually quite freeing when you lighten your load and listen to your truth.
What about you? What can you do to be true to yourself?

No comments: