Wednesday, November 07, 2007

NAVIGATING YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS

This morning we had fun and games with the GPS in my car. I am not used to it, so thought I would test it when I was going on a trip when I knew where I was going.

This GPS machine is single-minded, unlike other GPS systems where the voice will say re-calculating the route, this one was stuck on one route to reach our destination and I didn’t want to go that way. So at every turn, it was trying to get me to turn around and follow directions. Quite irritating actually.

But it made me think of what it is like when you start a business and need to be flexible. There’s no one route to success, and for some of us, we’ve made some detours on the way. We need the GPS that will recalculate the route and allow for us to make mistakes, take the wrong turning but still end up at the desired destination.

There’s mixed views on whether you need a business plan to successfully launch a business. I see it like a big journey – few of us would set off on an exciting trip across Canada say, without first checking a map. So why would you set off on a business venture without doing the same.

I’m not saying you have to have a 80-page document, but when you put your goals down on paper, do some homework and give some thought to how you are going to build your business, you give yourself a head start on reaching your destination.

What do you think?

No comments: