Thursday, March 05, 2015

Dancing with my frog


Have you heard of the expression of eating your frog?  It means tackling something that you have been avoiding or is unpleasant to you.  The idea is that you do this first before getting on to other work.

So this week I decided to dig into my accounting.  One of the first tasks I delegated when I could afford it, was the bookkeeping and for the last few years, it has been a family affair with my daughter doing the bulk of the work.  But she’s gone back to school and is too busy to keep it up.

All of which means that I not only have to get the “books” ready for a new bookkeeper, but I have to clean up my act.  It was so much easier when I could just quickly answer her questions from across the office.

As I wade through all the receipts, I’ve come to realize I have not been as efficient as I should about keeping them.  So I have been contacting suppliers to beg for a receipt to cover off the purchases I made months ago.

A low moment.

But I suspect I am not alone and it speaks to why I delegated the accounting in the first place.  But I do need to smarten up and be more diligent with my paperwork.

Thank goodness some folks love doing this… Clearly not me, but hey I can’t be good at everything. 

No comments: