Saturday, October 19, 2013

Getting yourself out there



I loved the way Cathy Nesbitt goes after publicity.  She doesn’t hold back and uses every advantage to get her name out there.  And I am confident that PR guru Tsufit would concur that you have to “Step into the Spotlight” if you want to be discovered.

But how do you do that?  Especially if you are an introvert at heart.  Regardless of your personality style, the goal is to become the expert in your industry; the go-to person when journalists want a comment or quote for their articles.

Clearly when you are only one of a few who does what you do, like Cathy and her worms, it is much easier to get media attention. It can be harder for the rest of us. For those who are happier behind a computer than in front of the camera, writing blogs and articles is a good starting point. 

I’ve been blogging for eight years now and initially it was because I liked to write, I didn’t even care much if anyone read them.  Today that has paid off for me, in that I now write for other people and publications – like Huffington Post – and just one blog can spiral into great publicity. 

Take the one I did on women and money.  Before I knew it, I was being interviewed by Global TV and a radio station in Vancouver.  Now truth is, don’t tell anyone, but I am not really an expert on women and money, (my husband will be quick to attest to that,) but I am out there and I am knowledgeable on women and business.  The first journalist found me through Google, so make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and accurately showcases your expertise.

Yes, writing press releases is one way to get your name out there, but frankly your story has to be newsworthy, otherwise it just gets lost in a sea of paper.  I used to have great success in getting my releases in the local paper.  However, that was mainly because I knew the local reporter and had built up a relationship with her.  But when she retired, that ended and the paper placed their emphasis on businesses that advertised with them.

Public speaking is another way to get your name out there.  When you are giving a presentation, you do have a captive audience and if you do a good job, word will spread. If that really scares you, maybe start by being on a panel.

One way, that is often overlooked, but can be effective, is to volunteer, sharing your expertise with a non-profit organization.   Not only are you doing good, but you get to broaden your network and you just never know who you are sitting next to at the board meeting.

Getting back to Tsufit, you may want to grab a copy of her book Step into the Spotlight, because it is jammed full of practical information, and, she’s funny too. As she asks, “Which would you rather be?  Batman or Robin? You know Robin is never going to get his own show. “  You decide.


1 comment:

Kimberley Richardson said...

Hi Anne, Great post. It really is about being true to yourself isn't it? Owning your gifts and discovering ways to share them in a way that best aligns with who you are.