Monday, April 06, 2009

Validation

Talk about extremes. I went from a relaxing break in Florida, soaking up the sun to hopping on a plane to attend the Oakville Awards for Business Excellence where it was announced that I had won the Entrepreneur of the Year Award. Now that sure gets your adrenalin going! I am still on a high.

Over the years I have been fortunate to receive several awards, but this one is different, and I've been reflecting on why it means so much to me. It reminds me of the time when Sally Fields won an Oscar and she said "you like me, you really like me"

Like many of us, I have my moments of self-doubt too, when I question what I am doing and whether I am just kidding myself with this business. Now a group of professionals and peers, that I admire, have recognized my work, my contribution and my leadership. I feel validated.

But there are other factors kicking in - this award goes beyond me. As a woman entrepreneur representing and supporting other women entrepreneurs, the award represents recognition of the vital role women play in today's economy. Women can, and do, run successful businesses. It's no longer the "old boys club" - in fact we have our own - and it's called Company of Women.

So let's celebrate.

No comments: