Thursday, September 04, 2014

Telemarketing - I am fine thanks, but no thanks.


Because I have been home more the past few weeks with the puppy (don’t worry, not another dog parable),  I have noticed how many telemarketing calls we get.

Whatever happened to that “no call” program the government introduced?  Sure isn’t working.  I particularly resent getting calls on the weekend or in the evening as that’s family time as far as I am concerned.  But even the government seems to have got into the game, with some survey they want completed.

As I told the person who first called, it is a Sunday at 7.00pm and I don’t appreciate you phoning me now.  But they don’t give up.  Got another call on a Saturday, same survey, same time. I realize that this is likely when they catch people at home, but really…

It leads me to ask does telemarketing work?  I have to wonder because certainly if their success depended on me, they wouldn’t be doing well at all.  I never, ever purchase anything after a cold call. Plus no one seems to keep any records, because without fail the same company will call you again about window glazing, heating or construction.  You’d think they’d save time and keep track of who says no.  Plus no one wants repeated rejection. I recognize these sales folks are just doing their job, and I feel sorry for them, but not enough to make a purchase. 

You can always tell when the pitch is coming.  First there’s a silence on the line while they connect to you.  Then they ask how you are before launching into their spiel.  While I try to remain polite, it’s after they ask how I am that I start to cut them off.  I don’t want to waste their time or mine. 

What’s been your experience?


No comments: