Saturday, August 10, 2013

Voting myself off the email island


I have spent the past three weeks unsubscribing from all the lists, email newsletters that seem to have found their way into my inbox.

It was when I came back from vacation and had over 2,000 emails awaiting my return, that I knew I had to do something.

It’s been a freeing and interesting project.  Half the emails I don’t even know the person, product or service, yet somehow, without my permission, they have snuck into my inbox. 

I find that annoying as I take great care with my own online marketing to ensure that my list is permission based.  Further, I am less likely to feel friendly towards that company because in a way, they have invaded my space, uninvited.

Then there are those where, yes , I did sign up for them.  In a weak moment I likely thought I would have the time to read the material, but truth is I haven’t. 

As the owner of a member-based organization, I am also on the lists of many of my members and for years I almost felt obliged to receive their stuff, but like the others that I don’t read – I have unsubscribed. Nothing personal ladies.

It is also interesting to see how easy it is to unsubscribe.  Usually you can just scroll down to the bottom, click and it is done.  Some may ask you why but on the whole I didn’t bother to respond. 

But there were those that had nothing to click on so you could get off the hook.  Not good practice.  Another irritant is when you have unsubscribed, to still keep receiving their darn emails.  That’s one of the reasons I like Constant Contact, they manage all that for you, so once someone opts out, they automatically are removed.

Now I didn’t get rid of everything – there are some emails I still like to read – like Seth Godin’s or Danielle Laporte’s Truthbombs – and part of their appeal is they tend to be short, pithy and have something worthwhile to say.

I’ve also continued to subscribe to my Paper.li newspapers as they help inform me and I use their material on a regular basis to share with others.

But there are some lessons to all of us involved in online marketing:

1.            Get the permission of the person to add their name to your list.
2.            Send information that is useful and not just self-promotion
3.            Have your unsubscribe option easily available.
4.            Make sure when they have unsubscribed, that you do take them off your list


1 comment:

Power Speaker Anne said...

Hello Anne,

Like you, I have spent hours unsubscribing from emails that I no longer wished to receive only to find that the volume of emails actually increased! Almost as if by unsubscribing, I sent a signal to the sender that said "she actually read it!"

Here's what I now do ... right click, create rule, move messages from this sender to junk folder. Easy and voila! Those unwanted emails no longer appear in my inbox.

Anne Miner