Saturday, October 24, 2009

The universe provides

Several years ago a group of us went to hear Gloria Steinham talk. Imagine our disappointment when it was announced at the start of the event that she was sick and unable to make it. Instead, the organizers advised that they had brought in Tobin Anderson. At the time, we all shook our heads – none of us had ever heard of her.

Well, we had the privilege of hearing one of the most profound and moving presentations from a woman who was terminally ill with cancer but who refused to let life pass her by. She has since passed away, but I can honestly say that her talk was one of the best I have ever heard and I will always remember her words of wisdom. Instead of getting second-best, we had the best.

I share this story because you just never know how your week will unfold, and sometimes what seems like a disaster turns out to be best thing that could have happened.

I started my week talking to a group of professionals about starting a business and how you have to be flexible to survive whatever change comes your way.

By the end of the week, I was having to practice what I preached! It was every event planners biggest nightmare – I found out thirty minutes prior to the scheduled presentation that my keynote speaker was sick, and not coming!

But the universe provides. Among our participants we had a motivational speaker. Not only that, she had her presentation with her. And her lively, funny keynote was just what we needed after an action-packed day.

Pat Mussieux – thank you. You were my guardian angel, my Tobin Anderson, and a real trooper. Not only did Pat come to the rescue, she was one of the highlights of the day.

No comments: