Thursday, December 15, 2016

'tis the season to give

As we inch our way towards Christmas, I seem to be in party mode, with lunches here, dinners there. And inch may be the appropriate word, as I can feel the inches being packed on as I eat my way through the holiday season.

But that aside, what I am enjoying is spending time with friends, some of whom I haven't seen for some time.  It has been wonderful to catch up, share a few laughs.. and a few drinks as we get ourselves into the festive mood.

Relationships have been all important to me this past year, not that they weren't before, but I have come to realize that it is my relationships that feed me, but like a garden, they need to be watered from time to time if they are to survive. And sometimes what you thought was a flower, was in fact a weed.  Then you have to decide if it is pretty enough to stay or should be removed.

Several friends and family have lost a loved one this year, making this Christmas especially hard, and my thoughts and virtual hugs are with them, as I am not nearby to do so personally.  The firsts are really hard - the first birthday, the first Christmas, the first anniversary.  

So as we gather to celebrate the season, let's remember those for whom this is not the wonderful time we have come to enjoy ... and yes, expect.  Let's take a moment to reflect on what it must be like for the refugees who have made Canada their home but are far away from their war torn country where they still have family; the homeless who are outside in this bitter cold weather, and those who can't give their children the Christmas they would like because they just can't afford it.

Donate.  Drop a few dollars into the Salvation Army kettle as you pass by at the mall. Be generous.

Wishing you all a happy holiday season.

No comments: