Friday, April 01, 2016

What advice would you give your younger self?


Now I have reached senior status, I‘ve been asking myself, what advice would I give to my younger self?   Here’s my top ten thoughts…

Don’t worry so much.  The worst will likely never happen.  I spent much of my time thinking “what if…”

Just because you feel it, doesn’t mean it’s true.  Now this is a tough one, especially when you are young and well… kinda self-absorbed.  Not everything is about you.  If you are sensitive (and I was) – then any slight seemed personal.

A mistake is just that… a mistake, not the end of the world.  It’s a lesson and the key is to learn it and move on… likely to make other mistakes.  We never stop learning.

Trust your gut instincts.  They are likely right.  If something seems too good to be true, it likely is.

Be true to yourself.   Spend time reflecting on what is important to you, what are the values you hold dear, and then you won’t be so easily compromised on what you believe.

Friendship is a two-way street.  You have to be one to get one. 

Friendships change.    While some friendships last through thick and thin, others fade as your interests and circumstances change.  Be OK with that.

It is never too late to change.   The only person you can change is yourself.  Change your attitude and your outcome can change too.

Shit happens.  It is how you deal with it that makes the difference.

Believe in yourself.   It is hard to ask others to believe in you if you are riddled with self-doubt and lack confidence in yourself.

As I came up with these ‘pearls of wisdom’ it struck me that most are about relationships – with yourself and others, which just goes to show that in the end, that’s all that matters – not the business, the work or career.   People.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THis Blog Made me Smile. Pearls of Wisdom from a women I admire, respect and am mentored by! This will shorten THAT LEARNING CURVE for many to be gentle with yourself! love it!